In recent years mold has become a major concern to homeowners and it has been linked to serious illness such as asthma, allergies, and occasionally neurological damage.
Most types of mold are not harmful, but if you find it in your house it should be treated immediately.
Redfin, recently publish an article explaining the four major signs of mold in your house, here there are:
4 Methods To Detect Mold In Your House
1. Seeing Signs of mold: Mold will appear first in areas where there is moisture and can have a variety of colors gray brown, gray-green, white, orange, pink, etc, although the most common is black. it can be a small patch and over time it can spread over the area
2. Odor: If you have mold hidden in your house, and it is not visible, but you can smell it, it may be a high possibility that mold is in your house. Do not ignore it, event if you cannot see it. Start
3. Visible Water Problems: If there has been a leaky pipe or water seating regularly for long periods of time by window or bathroom, more likely mold will develop. Some sings may include water stains or discoloration of ceilings, walls and floors. Other signs of moisture in the area are:bubbling of the Sheetrock, paint or wallpaper
4. Unexplained Respiratory Problems: When several people in the same area/space start to have unusual respiratory issues without any prior history of such problems, mold may be the main caused.
Now, after finding mold, the best way to eliminate it or prevent future issues is to remove the main source that is causing the mold . In many instances, people may thing just scrubbing the area affected may eliminate the mold, but in reality they are spreading the spores into new areas that mold may grow making the issue even worse.
4 Ways You Can Prevent Mold
1. Humidity: According to Redfin “Relative humidity should be below 60 percent, meaning the air should be fairly dry. Humidity condenses on surfaces making ideal growing conditions for mold” If you see lots of condensation in your house, it may be a sign and excessive moisture, that may cause a mold problem. If you see rusting indoor pipes or rusting in metal artifacts, you may call a professional that can help you control the humidity inside your house
2. Repair Leaks: if water is coming out of the pipe, make sure to fix those issues immediately and check the area around the leak for potential mold. Make sure to check after a heavy rain areas near the doors and windows to make sure water is not coming into the house.
3. Clean Up Spills: According to Redfin, “All spills should be cleaned and dried immediately. Mold can begin to grow within a 48 to 72 hour period”. Another area to pay close attention is near the bathtub. Usually after a shower or bath water accumulates between title and wall, and if not clean intermediately mold could develop.
4. Antimicrobial: Most people think that mold remediation is about killing the mold, but in reality it is by removing the mold and fixing the underlined conditions that is causing the issues. Antimicrobial products can be found in home good stores and it is use to treat mold, just follow the directions on the bottle. Bleach is not considered an antimicrobial treatment and is not recommended for mold remediation. This product will not eliminate the mold, it is only use as a preventive measure
If you are thinking about solving the issues on your own, do some research before starting doing the remediation. For better results, sometimes may be necessary to contact a professional that may resolved the issue once and for all.
To read the complete Redfin Article click this link.
Our company Sell Your House Any Condition buy houses in As-is condition so home owners don’t have to fix anything. We buy houses in the Houston Area and Surrounding markets
If you need to sell your house fast in Houston or any of the surrounding areas, please give us a call at 281-710-8525